This butternut squash recipe is the only thing you’ll need to keep warm on chilly autumn nights.
Yield: 6 servings
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 (2-lb) butternut squash, peeled and seeded, cut into 1” cubes
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- ½ cup chopped shallot
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp packed brown sugar
- 2 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 cup water
- 3-4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- ½ pumpkin puree
- 1-2 Tbsp butter, softened
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add squash, carrots and shallots; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, brown sugar, ginger and curry powder; cook until vegetables begin to caramelize about 2 more minutes.
- Add apple juice, water and 3 cups broth. If you would like thinner soup, stir in the remaining cup of broth. Bring to a boil then reduce to simmer; cook until vegetables are soft, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together pumpkin puree and butter. Pour mixture into pot and stir to combine.
- Using an immersion blender, puree soup until smooth. Top with a little more fresh ground pepper and serve immediately.