It’s a cross between angel food cake and pound cake.
Cherry Upside-Down Cake Recipe
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 55 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
For the Cherry Topping:
- 1/4 cup 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 cups 14 oz fresh cherries, pitted and halved
For the Cake:
- 1 1/2 cupsall-purpose flour, spoon into measuring cup and scrape off the top
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup 8 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened at room temp
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup whole milk, luke warm
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
What you'll need:
- 9 " wide cake pan with 2" tall sides.
How to Make Cherry Upside-Down Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Butter sides of cake pan and place cake pan on the stove over low heat. Melt 4 Tbsp butter in the cake pan then add 3/4 cup brown sugar, stirring until well combined. Spread over the bottom of the pan and remove from heat. Place cherries, cut-side-down over the butter/sugar mixture, pressing down lightly to stick.
- Stir together 1 1/2 cups flour, 2 tsp baking powder and 1/4 tsp salt in a medium bowl.
- In a large bowl, use a handheld electric mixer to beat together 1 cup sugar and 8 Tbsp butter until light and fluffy (5 minutes on high). Mix in 2 egg yolks (1 at a a time), beating well after each then beat in 1 tsp vanilla. Add 1/2 cup luke warm milk and mix on med/low speed until well blended. Add flour mixture and continue to mix on low speed until blended.
- In a clean bowl, beat 2 egg whites with 1/4 tsp cream of tartar until stiff but not dry. Fold gently into batter in two additions, folding just until incorporated. Transfer batter to cake pan and even out the top with a spatula. Bake 55 min at 350˚F.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes then run a dull knife around edges of cake to loosen cake. Transfer to serving platter by placing platter over cake and inverting directly onto platter. Let stand 5 minutes then serve warm or at room temp.
Recipe courtesy of Taste of Home.